Get smart about what is happening at work and learn how to excel with 52 simple but effective precepts.
Millions of people go to work every day, but they don’t bring the best parts of themselves to the job–often because they don’t know how. They may be stuck in a rut, never quite able to feel they’re doing truly excellent work.
If you like what you do and you want to take it to the next level, concentrate on these 52 simple, effective ways that you can excel at work every single week.
1. Make people feel special. Encourage and empower people at every chance.
2. Find work you love and put your heart and soul into it. Choose a job you love and you will never have to work another day in your life.
3. Focus on the task at hand. Do the best you can where you are with what you have.
4. Treat every task as important. Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it.
5. Always do the right thing, even when it’s hard. Don’t let what you cannot do interfere with what you can.
6. Delegate whenever you can. You get the best out of people when you believe in their talent.
7. Take initiative. Even if you’re already very good at your job, do whatever you can to push your limits.
8. Be part of the solution. Don’t be known as someone who is always complaining about something.
9. Tell the truth. Let people know they can count on you to be honest even when it creates difficulties.
10. Help as many people as you can along the way. Become someone people seek out for assistance.
11. Avoid gossip always. It should go without saying, but turn a deaf ear to gossip and rumors.
12. Maintain a positive attitude. A positive attitude is always contagious.
13. Double your income by tripling your knowledge. Don’t let your knowledge and skills become outdated.
14. Mind your emotions. When you’re angry, count to 10; before you speak, count to a hundred.
15. Make small daily improvements for stunning results. Most of the time, success consists of a series of little daily efforts.
16. Sharpen your skills and focus on mastering your talents. Avoid boredom–and learn a new skill to keep you on top of your game.
17. Be masterful at what you do despite the obstacles. No person fails who does their best.
18. Don’t feed your fears. Have faith that you will make it through.
19. Always be prepared. Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation
20. Ask for help when you need it. There is no such thing as a self-made person; you will reach your goals only with the help of others.
21. Set goals and get results. It’s important to know where you are going, how you will get there, and what the outcome will be.
22. Be all that you can be. Don’t settle for less than your highest potential.
23. Don’t worry about getting credit for getting things done. You can accomplish almost anything if you don’t worry about who gets the credit.
24. Preserve your integrity. Make daily choices that are consistent with your values.
25. Be a good role model. Live by your values and walk your talk.
26. Don’t accept “good enough.” Do everything with excellence.
27. Persevere with persistence. Success is largely a matter of hanging on long after others have let go.
28. Consider leadership something that exists wherever you are. Make the most of yourself in every situation.
29. Say please and thank you. It really does matter.
30. Respect. The more you give, the more you receive.
31. Accept responsibility. Take full responsibility with full confidence to get the job done well.
32. Be determined to be your best. The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in your determination.
33. Remember you are what you think. It is important to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative.
34. Erase your limitations. When you can conquer your fears, it’s like lifting a hundred pounds of cement off your shoulders.
35. Treat failure as a step toward success. Failure is never fatal, but not trying is.
36. Be trustworthy. Make promises and keep your word.
37. Become an expert. Make the most of your knowledge
38. Respect people’s time. Everyone is busy. When you have someone’s attention, be quick and succinct.
39. Be an active listener. Make sure you listen at least as much as you speak.
40. Honor your commitments. When you make a promise, keep it.
41. Be a great team player. Maximize your contribution.
42. Let go of restrictions. Don’t be limited by the scope of your thinking. Think big and succeed big.
43. Deliver results. When you are given a directive, get it done well and on time.
44. Be transparent.The more transparent you are with information, the more people will understand why you do what you do.
45. Be kind. Be unfailingly kind, polite, and gracious with everyone you come into contact with–no matter what their role, and no matter how you’re feeling
46. Manage your stress. Take every action to minimize stress at work because you don’t want it to get the best of you.
47. Be dependable. Be consistent in yourself and reliable in your performance.
48. Communicate with heart. Sincerity helps you avoid many blunders and misunderstandings.
49. Work with purpose. Bring meaning to everything you do.
50. Be true to yourself. Everything you do should represent who you are.
51. Make every moment count. We do not count years until there is nothing else to count.
52. Lead from within. Everything you need for a successful life is within you now.